Saturday, September 16

I just got back from a weeklong field trip to Hiroshima and Kyoto with my fellow EAP students and bunch of Japanese students from Meigaku. It was really eye-opening, thought-provoking, and really, just a blessing.

Being in Hiroshima was amazing. We were privileged enough to hear the testimonies of two hibakshiya (A-bomb survivors) as well as have guided tours by really knowledgeable people of the Peace Memorial Park, museums, and an island that was once used to manufacture chemical weaponry. It was amazing to me to see how committed the people of Hiroshima are committed to peace; it floored me to see their example of a transformation from hate to love in the name of peace. It makes me wonder if America is capable of being as big-hearted as the people of Hiroshima. Kubo-sensei, a man who gave us a tour of ground zero, left us with this parting thought: that if you love someone (whether it be an individual or a collective), little things that they do (small mistakes) do not bother you and will not lead to hate--you forgive because you love...and in order to love, we must take the time to know the other.

It's so easy to think that as an individual, you make little difference, but that is not true. One can affect so many others--I know that all of you who read this have played a role in shaping who I am today...and who I am today is interacting with people halfway across the world and affecting their lives as well. We all know the world is small and that one can do much good or much harm. That's scary, in a sense, but also just really amazing.

It has been completely awesome getting a chance to talk to Japanese students, interact with them, and really just learn more about their lives and their culture. We're different, but we're the same. (Sorry, my thoughts are half in Japanese now, so I'm a little scattered with my words). I love the people I have been privileged to be in contact with. Seriously, I'm learning so much. :)

Kyoto is beautiful and I will go back once the leaves being to change color. For now, that is all. I shall leave you with some photographs. :P


August 6, 1945, 8:15am--time literally stopped.


Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park


Itsukushima Shrine, Miyajima National Park

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's like what u2 said "we're one, but we're not the same" :)keep up the posting (please)!

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sigh. hiroshima...
the peace memorial and national park are beautiful. good thoughts =)

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes keep posting!

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooooh jen, i miss you so much. :'( i'm really glad that you're having such a cool experience in japan! but i can't deny my selfish nature.. i want you back home w/ us! :(

i love you!
- babychen

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home